October 15, 2022 @ 1:00 pm
Teakisi Woman Talk – 2022
A Black History Month session focusing on African women and the community. Date and Timings Date: Saturday 15th...Get Tickets
A Black History Month session focusing on African women and the community.
Date and Timings
Date: Saturday 15th October
Time: 13:00 – 17:00
About this event
Teakisi is happy to announce the fourth annual Teakisi Woman Talk conference, sponsored by and in partnership with The Common Room. This event takes place in October, which is also Black History Month. The annual ‘Teakisi Woman Talk’ allows black women, plus the general public to have a conversation on topics that really matter to them – however uncomfortable they may be.
2022 Theme: Inclusive Communities For All
An environment where many different genders, races, nationalities, sexual orientations and identities are present but only the perspectives of certain groups are valued or carry any authority or influence, it is not inclusive. We might be a diverse community but if the said community is lacking genuine inclusion then this is called “tokenism.”
Inclusion is about how well the contributions, presence and perspectives of different groups of people are valued and integrated into any environment. With the diverse community we have here in the North East of England, unfortunately, many of our members experience a life that is not inclusive. Diverse we might be but when its lacking genuine inclusion then this is called “tokenism.”
There are so many reasons as to why people don’t feel included, welcome or part of a community – with the most likely reasons being discrimination and racism. Those who feel like their communities are not inclusive also mention that in most cases when they are acknowledged, it may in most cases be in a negative way.
So, what is an inclusive community?
An inclusive community is one where its citizens and members feel safe, respected, and comfortable in being themselves and expressing all aspects of their identities. It is a place where each person shares a sense of belonging with its other members. It is home. Inclusive communities don’t just have a diversity of people present, it has a diversity of people involved, developed, empowered and trusted by the community.
An inclusive community:
- Does everything that it can to respect all its citizens, gives them full access to resources, and promotes equal treatment and opportunity.
- Works to eliminate all forms of discrimination.
- Engages all its citizens in decision-making processes that affect their lives.
- Values diversity.
- Responds quickly to racist and other discriminating incidents.
We have to challenge communities that are not inclusive becuase they prohibit members from meeting their basic needs, living with dignity, engaging actively, and contributing to their community. We encourage all who seek to see discrimination, racism and “tokenism” emanated in their communities to join us on the day.
What’s more, the event aims to;
- Continue to establish itself as the key event for those interested in enhancing the capabilities & leadership opportunities for African women, Black, Asian & Ethnic Minority people across all sectors. There is power in being connected to other people – especially when those people look like you.
- Empower through informative speeches, talks, spoken word, drama, conversations and networking
- Celebrate the culture and heritage of Africa, minority communities, and people of African descent
- Network, learn from each other while sharing life experiences
This event is for;
- Individuals and orgarnisations who champion tackling inequalities, fighting discrimination and racism
- Individuals and organisations that promote diversity and inclusion
****Keynote speakers to be announced at a later date***
Guests will be able to explore a number of stalls on the day. If you are individual, business or organisations and would like to exhibit your work or services, there are 10 stalls/tables available to first come first served. To book yourself a table (£35 per table) please send email to email@example.com
You may also like
Christmas at The Common Room: Light Up Christmas Cards
December 9 @ 12:00 pm
Gather with friends and family for a creative and joyful experience. Join us for a special event where you’ll…
Christmas at The Common Room: Glass Bottle Painting
December 13 @ 6:00 pm
Indulge in a cosy and creative evening this holiday season as we draw inspiration from the breath-taking stained-glass windows…